While the History Museum is open FREE of the First Friday of the Month, the Playing in the Past pre-school activity time and the tour are offered as online activities.
Playing in the Past
Preschool Activity Hour
An exciting hour of crafting, exploring and storytelling held the first Friday of the month. Each month there is a different craft and story. Starts in the Wells Fargo Learning Center.
Due to COVID-19 concerns we are temporarily moving our Free First Friday preschool activities online.
Listen to a Story
Make a Basketball!
- Small paper plate
- Orange tissue paper
- Black tissue paper
- Glue stick
- Draw black line on plate to match the image of the basketball.
- Cut tissue paper into small squares.
- Put a thin layer of glue on the plate.
- Crinkle up a piece of black tissue paper and put it on the black line. Repeat until the black lines on the plate are covered.
- Crinkle up pieces of orange tissue paper and put it everywhere else on the plate.
- Let it dry.
Visit the Peninsula Sports Hall of Fame!
Learn more about local athletes in the Peninsula Sports Hall of Fame!
At 2 p.m., join us for a free general tour featuring highlights of the exhibits. This docent-led tour lasts about an hour.
The next online Free First Friday event will be on Friday, April 7 with the story Ocean! Waves for All.
Jon Miller, our 2018 San Mateo County History Maker, recorded a story for our online Free First Friday in May 2020.