Discover the early use of the land and its natural resources during a grounds tour. Students are introduced to the people who lived at the site which was an Ohlone village, a Spanish mission outpost and a Mexican rancho.
In this hands-on living history program, your students will experience life on a Mexican rancho.
- Take a house tour and participate in daily chores of a Californio rancho by grinding corn and roping a “cow.”
- Make candles and learn about the hide-and-tallow trade.
- Climb into the mud pit and make adobe bricks like those used to build the Sánchez Adobe.
- Students will be able to identify natural resources of the area used by the Ohlone, Spanish and Mexicans.
- Students will be identify the changing use of natural resources as inhabitants moved from the Ohlone hunter‐gather lifestyle to the Spanish agrarian lifestyle.
- Students will be able to identify the importance of natural resources to the rancho economy.
- To protect the historic site and for better quality of programming, school programs at the Sanchez Adobe are limited to one class per program.
- The school program occurs rain or shine. Some modification of activities occurs on rainy days.
Online during COVID-19
The San Mateo County Historical Association is offering virtual school programs during COVID.
Experience life on a Californio rancho in this virtual program. Before the program time, students will view a pre- recorded video tour of the Sánchez Adobe. Then, students will engage in a docent-led online presentation where they will be introduced to the people who lived at the site which was an Ohlone village, a Spanish mission outpost and a Mexican rancho. An optional hands-on activity, designing a wire “brand” (which includes a package of Model Magic for stamping), is also available for an additional fee.
- Available on Wednesdays & Fridays at 1 p.m. (other times by special arrangement)
- Link to pre-recorded tour will be mailed after payment is received.
- Hands-on Activity materials will be mailed to the school; contact us if you require alternate arrangements. Please schedule tours with hand-on activities at least 10 days advance to allow for kit assembly and mailing.
- Fees 2021-2022: Fees apply to one class per program.
- Without hands-on activity: $50 for a 40-minute program
- With hands-on activity: $70 for a 50 to 55-minute program
Some scholarships are available for low-income schools. To apply, complete the online scholarship form.
The Sánchez Adobe school program provides students with with hands-on learning experiences.