Growing Nation, Changing County
Growth and Conflict
How did immigration contribute to the growth of San Mateo County?
Travel through San Mateo County history to see the growth and conflict of the nation reflected at the county level. Stagecoaches, railways, streetcars and the highway systems laid the framework for our cities. New cities brought immigrants from around the world. New people contributed to the economic growth and political development of our communities. The response to the immigrants was often prejudicial.
- Students will understand that changes in transportation effected who settled in this area and what businesses and industries developed.
- Students will understand that progress in the U.S. occasioned by the Industrial Revolution gave rise to Nativist attitudes that influenced discriminatory practices against immigrant newcomers.
- Geared to eighth graders.
- History-Social Science Content Standards: 8.12.
- 1.5-hour program (allow more time for a large class size).
- Available by arrangement.
- 2023-2024: The cost is $98 per class. If your class has more than 30 students, we require an additional $6 fee for each student over 30. Fees apply to one class per program.