Early Forms of Transportation
Getting from Here to There
What was it like to travel a long time ago?
Students will explore the changes in transportation as they experience a bumpy road riding in a the stagecoach, listen to a railroad story and “drive” a streetcar in the Journey to Work exhibit. Then, they will see ships that have sailed the San Francisco Bay in the Ships of the World exhibit.
Students will be able to identify five forms of transportation in San Mateo County, what made them move and if they are still used today.
- Geared to first and second graders.
- History-Social Science Content Standards: 1.4 and 2.1.
- Available on Tuesdays-Fridays at 10:00 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. Please note the tour lasts 1 ½ hours. A double tour is 2 hours.
- 2023-2024 fee is $98. A double tour is possible for $110 per class.
- Program fee applies to ONE class of up to 30 students.
Some scholarships are available for low-income schools. To apply, complete the online scholarship form.