Early Forms of Transportation
Getting from Here to There
Online during COVID-19
As students are attending school virtually, the San Mateo County Historical Association is offering online school programs starting October 1, 2020. Teachers currently scheduled for a 2020-2021 program have priority for the online programs.
What was it like to travel a long time ago? Students explore the changes in transportation in this virtual program. Before the program time, students will view a pre-recorded video tour of the Journey to Work and Ships of the World exhibits. Then, students will engage in a docent-led online presentation to discuss different forms of transportation long ago. An optional hands-on activity, building a paper plate model boat, is also available for an additional fee.
- Available on Tuesdays-Fridays at 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. (other times by special arrangement)
- Link to pre-recorded tour will be mailed after payment is received.
- Hands-on Activity materials will be mailed to the school; contact us if you require alternate arrangements. Please schedule tours with hand-on activities at least 10 days advance to allow for kit assembly and mailing.
- Fees 2020-2021: Fees apply to one class per program.
- Without hands-on activity: $35 for a 30-minute program
- With hands-on activity: $45 for a 40-minute program
Some scholarships are available for low-income schools. To apply, complete the online scholarship form.
What was it like to travel a long time ago?
Students will be able to identify five forms of transportation in San Mateo County, what made them move and if they are still used today.